Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Can cats have anxiety issues my cat is a shelter cat she is

Customer Question

Can cats have anxiety issues my cat is a shelter cat she is 1 year old and seems to just go all day long very very high energy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that Africa's abnormally high energy is related to anxiety.
Some cats, especially kittens, are more energetic than others. There is a range of normal, just like in people.
But cats can have anxiety issues too, and if she seems afraid or skittish and is running away from things rather than just very playful then anxiety may be involved.
To help ease social stress or anxiety you can try using Feliway sprays or diffusors. These are synthetic pheromones which mimic those produced to mark areas as safe and many cats find them soothing. You can also use pheromone calming collars as well. See this link for some examples: http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Behavior-Pheromone-Collar-Inches/dp/B0026JAKWG
If that measures isn't enough you can try a homeopathic calming oral medication called Bach's Rescue Remedy. This cna be added to her food or water. See this link for further information: http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm
In some cases these anxiety types of behavior become apparent in high energy kittens that are bored. Cats can indeed show some obsessive-compulsive type behaviors when they are bored for long periods of time. They are naturally built to hunt and spend their time and concentration stalking. When we take their "work" away from them some cats get a little strange with their behavior.
This may wane on its own with maturity, but if she is healthy it may also help to give her more to do, such as more play time especially with fishing line type toys that she can chase and burn off some energy, hiding treats in kitty towers that she has to look for, mechanical toys that she can chase and hunt and maybe even an out door enclosure or perches near windows so she can stay safe, but experience the outdoors.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.