Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed my cat had blood in his urine, urine test came back…

Customer Question
I noticed my cat had...
I noticed my cat had blood in his urine, urine test came back uti. She also said he had an elevated glubitin level. Indoor cat, eats good, drinks well, almost 14. Could it. Be the uti?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/13/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did you mean glucose or bilirubin (since there is no glubitin)?
Did the urine also show elevated white blood cells, bacteria, or blood?
Did the vet check any bloods?
Since you noted that he "drinks well," do you think he drinks more then he used to? Is this just since you saw the blood?
Does he pass small or large volumes of urine?
Has his urine been quite dilute/watery prior to the blood?
Well he seemed normal. I happened to catch him spray and saw some watery blood. The vet came and we did a blood test and urine. The urine showed a uti and we put him on antibiotics. She said something was high in his blood that is usually associated with cats with fiv. She asked if he was ever an outdoor cat, I said no. She wants to retest after the uti is over. I noticed no changes in him. She mentioned nothing else about either test. But I'm wondering if whatever was elevated was high because of the uti.
Hi again,
Was this an in-practice urine test? Or did she send it to the lab?
Or was it a high globulin on the bloods?
Did she actually test him for FIV?
Urine went to the lab. I think the elevation in the bloods. No she didn't test for HIV but he has never been outside. I had him since birth.
Hi again,
Now I suspect it was the blood globulins that were elevated. And I must note that globulins are inflammatory proteins. This means they elevate when the body is fighting an infection. That goes for viruses like FIV, but it also is the same case for bladder infections. So, this would not tell us FIV or any other virus was present.
If we were genuinely worried about FIV, there is a blood test for that virus specifically (which can be done at your vet's practice or sent to the lab). But again, seeing this elevated at a time when we know there is an infection present means that this likely a reflection of that infection. Therefore, you can choose to recheck those blood globulins once this infection is passed +/- testing for FIV to completely rule it out. Still, in this instance the globulins are likely just elevated because of this infection that you are treating for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
That is what I thought, I know he does not have fiv. I might test him when the uti is over. Thank you.
You are very welcome,
I agree that a fully indoor kitty is unlikely to be an FIV carrier. But that sounds like the perfect plan of attack if there is any doubt about this.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.