Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I used frontline flea/tick on my cat this morning, have used

Customer Question

I used frontline flea/tick on my cat this morning, have used it many times before, but today now the cat is panting and has vomited and is currently just laying on the floor panting somewhat and just looking listless... it is 90 degrees today and he's been in/out of the house throughout the day..just wondering what's causing this..
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
This does not sound like a frontline reaction. Reactions will usually consist of muscle tremors, not GI or respiratory signs.
I would worry more about heat stroke with the temperatures and the fact that he's panting and vomiting. It could also be a urinary obstruction, as that is common in male cats.
I would probably error on the side of caution and get him to a vet for an exam. If it's heat stroke, then we treat with IV fluids, plasma and antibiotics. If it's a urinary obstruction, then we anesthetize and pass a urinary catheter to unblock them. It could be something infectious or respiratory, in which case it's treated specifically. I just don't think Frontline is the culprit here.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dora,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?