Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Chigger Bites

Customer Question

I'm hoping you can call me to discuss(###) ###-####  I have three cats that are all being bitten by chiggers I think.  They are all on Revolution.  I need help on treating bites, killing chiggers, future prevention etc.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about trombiculoid mites (chiggers in cats). I'm sorry you're facing this frustrating and somewhat uncommon problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Yes... we can continue with a phone call to discuss your situation, but I'd like to start by offering you some of the basic information on chiggers in cats. If after reading this you still would like a phone call, you may accept the offer for the additional service of a phone call.
Basic facts regarding chiggers...
1. The characteristic pinpoint red mites are fairly easy to identify. You can see pictures of them here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+trombiculid+mites&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCAQsARqFQoTCKfV7veri8YCFQqjiAodDNQASQ#
2. These are temporary parasites. Only the immature (larval) stage of the mite is parasitic. That means the skin problems they cause are also temporary and go away without treatment. If you're having an ongoing problem, that means your cats are constantly being reexposed.
3. Unfortunately, killing the mites doesn't necessarily solve the problem. This makes sense, because they go away anyway. Preventing future exposure is the key to solving the problem.
4. Many different treatments are used to try to prevent future exposure. In cats, it's important to avoid any pyrethrin or permethrin based treatment. Revolution, unfortunately, is generally not successful unless you reapply it every other week. Fipronil (Frontline) is reported to be effective. Tresaderm works well for chigger mites in the ears. Many old-timers report success using 5% Sevin dust.
I hope this information helps.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. You can type in what you want to say then click REPLY, or accept the offer for a live phone call.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response so I receive credit for helping you.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how your cats are doing with your chigger situation. Is there anything else I can help you with?
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer so I may receive credit for helping you as that is the only compensation I receive.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you.