Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat threw up food and hair and was wheezing 10 minutes afterwords. He did th…

Customer Question
My cat threw up food...
My cat threw up food and hair and was wheezing for about 10 minutes afterwords. He did this about four days ago as well. the breathing really worries me. I took a video of it if I can post or send that to you so you can see.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/12/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Spaghetti vomited food and hair and was wheezing for about 10 minutes after the episodes.
Laryngeal spasms and snorting/wheezing are all pretty common after vomiting, especially if it was a forceful episode. Cats have a very sensitive larynx, any sort of irritation or stimulation will make it spasm. Stomach acid is extremely irritating to the sensitive tissues in the back of the throat and larynx. It causes a painful burning sensation and laryngeal spasms upon contact with these tissues.
If the only time he is wheezing is after vomiting then I would be less concerned and these episodes can be directly correlated to an irritant. These are called reverse sneezes. Here's a link to a video of a kitty with reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKp3bbWpZ8
However if he is wheezing very hard for several minutes and then vomiting that can be related to things like asthma, an upper respiratory infection, a foreign body irritating his larynx/pharynx or a mass, and he should see his veterinarian.
If his vomiting episodes continue then that is something that should be addressed by his veterinarian as well. Chronic vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure, hyperthyroidism, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.