Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Dr Peter, My kitten was recently neutered this past

Customer Question
Hello Dr Peter, My kitten was...
Hello Dr Peter,
My kitten was recently neutered this past Saturday, he was fine and acting like himself up until yesterday morning. Since then, he's vomited about 5 times with the color ranging from white to pink to yellow and finally brown. He hasn't been acting like himself ever since and now I'm starting to be concerned. I took him to the clinic this morning and they said that they don't believe it to be related to the neutering. Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/11/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is he lethargic?
2- Is he currently on any other medications?
3- How long has it been since the last time he vomited?
4- Is he eating and drinking?
5- What is he doing that is not himself?
6- What did your vet do today? Medications?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
He is not as energetic as he normally is. A lot of laying down. No other meds. 12 noon PST was the last time, before that, it was around 9pm last night. Hardly eating and taking little sips of water. The lack of energy and the lack of playing is not like himself. Took him back to the clinic and they checked his genitals to make sure it wasn't infected from the neutering. No meds.
1- Can you see if his gums are pale or pink?
2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
His gums are pink. I am unable to take his rectal temperature.
Friend, the symptoms Sam is showing are not likely to being neutered. You see, if there was a problem with the neutering you would have seen some type of discharge from the scrotum. In addition, he started vomiting 4 days post surgery which is a long time to find post surgery complications. I believe this may be related to something else. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit, lethargic or not eating after doing the above I would have him rechecked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays as initial screening test.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Hi Justin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter