brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My 9 year old cat started coughing while eating 3 weeks

Customer Question

Hi, my 9 year old cat started coughing while eating 3 weeks ago and I saw a lump on the side of her throat just recently. Not sure if that's caused by the coughing or not. She wants to eat but cannot. She chokes on her food and coughs like shes throwing up but doesnt and more recently stopped eating. Had some milk tonight but that's it.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
First, when was the bloodwork done? Was it before or after the episode of being off balance?
Is she still able to drink normally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Grey's first onset of changes occurred with the balance issues and after the cleaning of her ears her balance gradually got better over a couple if weeks. She has a slight head tilt but that's about it. A week after her balance issues were improved, she started coughing while eating and has a wheezing to her breathing almost like congestion. Because she's been losing weight and weezing/coughing, I took her to the vet which is when they did bloodwork about 3 days ago. She is getting worse as far as the eating issue. She can drink but sometimes even refuses milk. Her water is always out but I've never seen her drink it. She's been on wet food for about 6 months and had always had a huge appetite until a month or so ago. She comes out to eat and stares at me but when I give her food, she looks at it and looks back up at me. Just stares. Finally walks away.

Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
OK. I think it is important to diagnose what the mass is on the side of her neck. I would start by aspirating this. If it is something that can be treated, it may help her eat normally again.
In the meantime, I have two suggestions to get her nourishment in the short term. We can use an appetite stimulant such as mirtazapine to encourage her to eat. Another option is a feeding tube placed in her esophagus. This can be placed during a very short episode of anesthesia, and then she can go home with you. Your vet can demonstrate how to properly care for the tube and tell you specifically how much to feed.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan