Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

6yo cat's unusual behavior & best time to declaw

Customer Question
  1. My first concern is regarding
...

1. My first concern is regarding my cat, Frank's, behavior. My boyfriend and I bought a 4-bed condo we're moving into in 3 weeks. He sold his house before my lease was up, so he's staying with me for the remaining 5 weeks of my lease. My apt is a tiny studio with my two cats. I'm in the middle of packing so my stuff is all over the place (making the apt feel more cramped). Occasionally before, but I've noticed it more since my boyfriend moved in (2 weeks ago), my one cat has been behaving oddly. He's neutered, but he's humped my other cat about 15 times. He's also insisted on clawing the window and destroying the blinds at night. Both of my cats have pushed through the bottom-side of the windows's blinds enough that the sides broke off, but Frank's window-clawing is bothersome. Usually my cats sleep with me, but there's not much room right now and my boyfriend doesn't like to sleep with animals anyways. Because of the window-clawing I’ve had to lock him in the bathroom at night so we can get some sleep the past few nights. There are feral cats outside, so I suspect that their presence may be instigating the humping/clawing behavior. Additionally, even though I’m cleaning their litterbox daily (like usual) he peed on my boyfriend’s stuff. He’s peed on my stuff before, but it’s when I forgot to clean their litterbox.

2. My second concern is if it’s better to get my cats declawed before we move into the new place or after my oddly behaving cat gets settled at the new place? My other cat (also 6yo--true brother to Frank) seems totally fine--no unusual behavior. If I wait to declaw after we move in, they will be locked in a room initially to minimize destruction. I have always trimmed their nails, but they still destroy furniture/carpet no matter how many scratch post-things they have (they currently have 2 large and 2 small). I also tried Soft Claws, but they started to come off within a couple of days. In the new place, my boyfriend will not allow them outside of the one area (1-2 rooms) until after they're declawed.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
6/9/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Thank you for checking in. I do still need assistance.
Basically I'd like to know: Why is my 6yo cat behaving in the manner I described and when should I declaw him and his true brother (also 6yo)?
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Okay. Please let me know if there is anything I should explain or elaborate on. Thank you!