Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What is the earliest age to declaw and nuter a male.female

Customer Question

what is the earliest age to declaw and nuter a male.female pair of kittens? Both are in excelent health and VERY active. They are littermates.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
Good question.
If you are declawing, ideally quite early. Most vets recommend neutering or spaying at about 6 months of age. If also having a declaw surgery done, then definitely try to do it no later than 6 months. In fact, your vet may also encourage doing it even younger. But, how early is completely up to your vet.
Pets can be neutered or spayed even before 8 weeks of age (happens frequently for pets in shelters), but your vet may not encourage that early.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YOY EVADED A DIREC ANSWER, I GUESS THAT THE CORRECT QUESTIN IS WHAT IS THE EARLIEST AGE FOR HEALTHY KITTENS TO UNDERGO SURGERY?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Just a complicated answer.
Declawing is a very invasive surgery. So, many vets do like to do it at a earlier age. But, some vets are simply more comfortable than others doing this surgery when a bit older.
I would say, roughly, the earliest is about 12 weeks of age.
Sorry for being so worded. Trying to ensure I properly support any answer I provide. :)