Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 13 year old cat that had 4 teeth removed in the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 13 year old cat that had 4 teeth removed in the end of April and he still hasn't recovered to his normal behavior. I've been back to our vet 4 times and they keep prescribing different medications. He hasn't eaten today and his stools are very light and watery. I'm scared
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests have been performed post-extractions? My primary concern in a cat of Simba's age is exacerbation of chronic renal insufficiency due to the lowered blood pressure during a lengthy anesthesia as would be necessary when 4 teeth are extracted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To my knowledge no such test were performed. They did blood work prior to the surgery but not after. I know they didn't do a urine test. At this point I'm spending money and he's no better. This morning he was passing a very small amount of liquid stool and was meowing in pain. He never goes outside his box but for the past several days I've been finding very small amounts of stool on clothing and carpeting left on the floor.

It's essential that that blood work be rechecked, Karen. You're getting nowhere 6 weeks later in spite of numerous visits and prescriptions. Those abnormal stools aren't consistent with oral disease; instead, a reaction to systemic disease or, less commonly, a new problem has arisen such as gastrointestinal lymphoma. If new testing doesn't reveal anything untoward, I would proceed to ultrasound Simba's abdomen to better understand what's going on in her GI tract and major organs.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will ask that his blood be rechecked as well as consider the gastrointestinal problem that may have arisen (God I hope that's not it). Wouldn't lymphoma have showed up in the pre-surgery blood work? He's always been so healthy. I just find it strange that these issues are popping up after surgery and not prior to. Thank you for your help. Cry

That sounds good. No, gastrointestinal lymphoma most often doesn't show up in the peripheral blood; hence, the need to ultrasound looking for the tell-tale signs of lymphoma. Confirmation of lymphoma may require scoping and biopsy of his GI tract. I understand your thinking but please keep in mind that he's never been this old before either!
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.