Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

Cat was just diagnosed with diabetes....blood sugar over 500.

Customer Question

Cat was just diagnosed with diabetes....blood sugar over 500. Prescribed Lantus, 2 units 2x/day. First day, all seemed well, but after his 4th injection, he vomited last night, and now is not eating. While he's being very quiet, he doesn't seem disoriented. Should I discontinue insulin until he eats again? I can call my vet in the morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Oreo. I'm sorry that he has diabetes - unfortunately this is a very common problem with cats. I would definitely stop the insulin while he isn't eating. There is a danger of him becoming hypoglycaemic - low blood sugar - if he has insulin without food.
Whilst I agree with your vet in the long term that a diet specifically for cats with diabetes would be beneficial, at the moment while he isn't eating I would try to get him whatever you can. Something warm and smelly would be most likely to tempt him - if you can stand it warm tuna.
If he carries on vomiting, becomes more unwell in himself - subdued, lethargic, extra sleepy - then I would get him to an emergency vets tonight. If his insulin dose was incorrect then he could be getting ketotic - this is where when diabetics can't use sugar for energy they start breaking down their muscles. This produces toxins which eventually poisons the patient. A sign of this is vomiting, not eating and weakness. If you are at all concerned about this then I would get him to your vets tonight - to an emergency vets if you have to. A simple blood test will let your vet know if Oreo needs treatment for ketosis. Left untreated this is potentially life-threatening.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get it and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.