Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat was just diagnosed with diabetes....blood sugar over 500.

Customer Question
Prescribed Lantus, 2 units 2x/day...
Cat was just diagnosed with diabetes....blood sugar over 500. Prescribed Lantus, 2 units 2x/day. First day, all seemed well, but after his 4th injection, he vomited last night, and now is not eating. While he's being very quiet, he doesn't seem disoriented. Should I discontinue insulin until he eats again? I can call my vet in the morning.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/7/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Oreo. I'm sorry that he has diabetes - unfortunately this is a very common problem with cats. I would definitely stop the insulin while he isn't eating. There is a danger of him becoming hypoglycaemic - low blood sugar - if he has insulin without food.
Whilst I agree with your vet in the long term that a diet specifically for cats with diabetes would be beneficial, at the moment while he isn't eating I would try to get him whatever you can. Something warm and smelly would be most likely to tempt him - if you can stand it warm tuna.
If he carries on vomiting, becomes more unwell in himself - subdued, lethargic, extra sleepy - then I would get him to an emergency vets tonight. If his insulin dose was incorrect then he could be getting ketotic - this is where when diabetics can't use sugar for energy they start breaking down their muscles. This produces toxins which eventually poisons the patient. A sign of this is vomiting, not eating and weakness. If you are at all concerned about this then I would get him to your vets tonight - to an emergency vets if you have to. A simple blood test will let your vet know if Oreo needs treatment for ketosis. Left untreated this is potentially life-threatening.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get it and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian