Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My daughter has taken in a mother cat & her kittens (kits only…

Customer Question
My daughter has taken in...
My daughter has taken in a mother cat & her kittens (kits only few wks old at most) The mother cat was friendly the first few days but has now started "attacking" my daughter when she walks into the room, clawing and scratching her legs.
The mommy had diarrhea and I read to give pumpkin/coconut. Other than that we can't account for her sudden aggressive behavior. What does the vet say?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
What seems to agitate the mother is my daughter walking around the room. She's of course concerned now about feeding and changing the kittens' blanketAnd yet she lets daughter pet kittens
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
HI this is DR J and I will be happy to help you with this. The very first thing you should do is get this cat to a vet asap so she can be checked out. Most likely, she is part feral and just protecting her kittens but your daughter could be at significant risk of cat scratch disease due to the mother attacking her and that can be a very severe illness. Also it is not likely at all but since this animal was a stray she should be checked by a vet to make sure she has no neurological disease that could indicate that she has Rabies. Again that is very doubtful, but I would strongly recommend that the cat go to a vet or have a vet come to your house to examine the cat asap. You need to protect your family first and that is the best way to do it. I hope this helps you. Most Sincerely, DRJ
Hi this is DR J and I am checking back in to see if you need further help.
Most Sincerely, DrJ