Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My friend has taken in a ferile cat and he has what sounds

Customer Question

My friend has taken in a ferile cat and he has what sounds like a bad tooth. He has become very listless and she can tell he is in pain. He only eats very little because she says it hurts him to chew. She has no money to take him to the vet. Is there something she can do to alleviate the pain he is going through?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** Thank you for your question. Unfortunately cats are VERY sensitive to human pain medications. Some are actually fatal to cats. They have a very sensitive system.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
The only human medication safe for pets is benadryl but it does not have pain relief properties.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know when you return so we can discuss this further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am back. Had trouble with my computer, sorry.. So there is nothing else I can tell her to do other than going to a vet to
have the tooth removed?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately that is correct. It is best to have it looked at. Cats can acquire little spots on their teeth that are painful and the teeth needs to be removed if that is the case. They are called resorptive lesions. Very common in cats.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
What further questions can I answer for you?