Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Im feeding 2 ferel cats one of them beleive has mange. how

Customer Question

im feeding 2 ferel cats one of them beleive has mange. how can i help him or her. spot on cheeks its red with crust and hair loss..
you cannot grab him but he comes for food. winter he had one spot now its undr ears bothe sides and goes down to above eye
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for helping this feral cat. He looks well fed and healthy in your pictures, apart from his skin lesion.
I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry you have waited so long for an expert. I just came online today and saw your question.
This does not look like mange to me. Mange is caused by a parasitic mite, is fairly rare in cats, and usually affects more than just one spot on the body.
It could be ringworm, a fungal skin infection, which is more common in cats than mange.
It could also be a skin infection, from a fight/bite wound from another cat ( he looks like a male cat, and if he is not neutered, cat fights would be common for him over territory and females). Or it could be from scratching at his ear, if he has an ear infection, or ear mites.
If you can't handle him and apply any medication to him, it will be very difficult to treat him. If it is from ear mites, and his scratching at his ears and face from the mites, you could try to get .1 cc ( 1/10 of 1 cc, about 1 drop) of Ivomec (ivermectin) into him by hiding it in food, but it is very bitter and he might not take it. It only needs to be given 2 to 3 times, at weekly intervals to treat ear mites.
If it is a skin infection or ringworm, the best treatment is applying anti biotic, anti inflammatory and/or anti fungal ointment to the area, and it does not sound like he will allow that.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he lets me pet him on his head but when he laying down if i go to pet him , he swats me so im not sure if its play or not ..
he comes to my feet and tries to rub against plate and food so i know hes okay with me . he runs away when he sees others.
hes okay with the other cat that lives outdoors too that comes for food. they look like father n son actually ..
i can try to rub the antibiotic on his lesions when hes eating ... want to help him but not sure how .. what antibiotic can i put ?
if i dont treat him will he be okay? is there any natural treatments for him? the other cat has nothing and they are always laying around in my backyard..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is a photo of the 2 strays ferels .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You can put triple antibiotic, or Neosporin on it, but do not get bitten or scratched!
I think he will be OK if you are not able to treat him. These look like sleek healthy cats.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe I can put Neosporin on the box that contains the food that he loves to rub up against ..
i definitely do not want to get scratched or bitten :) what would happen if he scratched me would i catch that ?
im glad u say they look sleek and healthy.. ive been taking care of them for about 4 years ..
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If you get scratched or especially if you get bitten, it could become infected. If he has ringworm, that could be contagious as well, so wash your hands after touching him.
He does look good apart from the lesion on his face.
Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi rebecca
thank you for answering my questions.i will definately contact you for any future questions
vasiliki
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me know how he is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!). You will still be able to give me updates about him, even after rating me.