How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16320
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our cat ate heartgsrd plus chewable chewable 68mcg ivermectin,57mg

Customer Question

our cat ate heartgsrd plus chewable chewable 68mcg ivermectin,57mg pyrantel,as pamoatesalt he weights 7 lbs
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that your kitty ingested a Heartgard Plus pill containing 68mcg of ivermectin and 57mgs of Pyrantel.
Both of these medications are used in cats for worm prevention and treatment.
ivermectin is a very safe medication that we routinely give doses daily several times higher then the dose in Heartgard to treat other types of parasites such as demodex mites. Cats take ivermectin for heartworm prevention too, and they actually take more per pound of body weight than dogs do. A 7lb cat would take 165mcg, so he actually took a below normal dose. I would not expect this to be a problem for him.
Things to watch for with a toxic dose of ivermectin are drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination and possibly seizures, sometimes blindness that does resolve in most cases in time.
But given the amount he ingested I think he will be fine and I don't expect that you will see any side effects.
Pyrantel is an intestinal parasite wormer. The usual dose is for a cat his size would be as high as 72.6mgs, so 57 mgs should not be a problem for him.
In short although this wasn't meant for your kitty, it should do him no harm.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related Cat Veterinary Questions