Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I found my cat dead. His eyes were wall eyed, he was wet and…

Customer Question
I found my cat dead...
I found my cat dead. His eyes were wall eyed, he was wet and blood was on his nose and mouth. I just want to know why he died and why his eyes would have gone wall eyed.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2015
Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 3 years ago
brisadog
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
First, can you explain what you mean by wall eyed?
Also, does he go outside?
Yes, he is an outside cat, very loving and active. Her eyes were not normal each one went towards the ears. Instead of being cross eyed it was the opposite. Horrible. She was wet, signs of blood only on her nose and mouth but no noticeable trauma.
Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 3 years ago
There are two likely explanations for this-
First, he could have some type of trauma that was not apparent - after all, unless a cat has a severely broken bone or wound on the skin, it is very difficult to appreciate injuries. Blunt trauma, for example, can cause bruising, swelling of the brain, etc without detectable signs.
Second, the liquid and blood from her nose and mouth also suggest the possibility of heart failure. This is the most common cause of sudden death in pets. When heart failure takes place, fluid will accumulate in the lungs and will drain from the nose and mouth after death.
I am so sorry for your loss. Please let me know if you have further questions. I will continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Do relatively young cats have heartaches? Why would her eyes be like that? So disturbing.
I mean heart attacks
Cat Veterinarian: brisadog,
 replied 3 years ago
Heart failure is not the same as a heart attack. To answer your question though, yes, young cats can have sudden heart failure. Sometimes the vet may have heard a heart murmur, but often there are no symptoms preceeding sudden death. If you want to know, you can ask your vet to perform a necropsy (animal autopsy). Often we will find a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy as the underlying cause of heart failure.
The eye position can happen after death when the muscles relax. It does not point to any specific cause of death.