Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

After and the cat enjoying it, she will turn her head

Customer Question

After petting and the cat enjoying it, she will turn her head quickly and bite my hand to cause puncture and bleeding. Why?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your girl Midnight's behavior.
Do her bites ever occur in other contexts, such as during play?
Do they only occur if you've been petting for a while, even if it seems short to you?
Does she stalking you and biting/pounce on you?
At what age was she taken from mom and her litter mates? 8 weeks is a perfect time to leave mom and litter mates. At that point mom should have taught her some social niceties and her littermates should have taught her not to bite so hard.
But if she's very energetic and you play rough with her she may be forgetting her manners.
We need to teach her people aren't for mouthing ever.
Start by no longer using your hands (or any body part such as feet) to play with her. 
Use toys, especially fishing line type toys that she can chase and burn some energy with.
If she does bite during play you yell "ouch" and then walk away and ignore her, play over.
 If she continues to attack she's likely overstimulated. Use a towel to scoop her up and put her in a quiet "time out" room.
If she likes to stalk you and pounce set her up a little. 
Walk down a hall, let her start to chase but once she goes to pounce have an air horn ready and give it a blast.
That isn't directly related to you, but it is to her actions. And if it happens every time she will get the idea this is no fun.
 You can also use a squirt gun in face or the air in a can that you can spray in her face instead, but some cats don't mind water or air.
It does need to happen every time she misbehaves though or it will take longer to stop this behavior.
Never try and discipline with your hands. She is already overstimulated and she will just get more excited and bite harder. She may believe that you are playing a very rough game with her, and this may stimulate her to bite more often and harder. For some cats even negative attention is rewarding because it is attention.
This is a pretty common problem in very active cats, especially Siamese or oriental breeds and their mixes as they tend to very "oral" cats.
Do expect her to get a little worse before she gets better if her biting is related to play behavior as she is having great fun and won't want to give up her games.
Some cats get overstimulated by physical attention. 
And when this happens they will bite. They don't mean to hurt you, they are just saying "stop!" the best they can.
It is important to read the cues she gives before the bite to avoid it.
 It's likely her pupils will dilate (enlarge) or she will become tense or her skin will "crawl". If you see or feel that than stop and you may not get bit.
I would also keep your petting sessions very short with her.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.