Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has 1 eye and a few weeks ago I noticed a small circle…

Customer Question
cat has 1 eye and...
cat has 1 eye and a few weeks ago I noticed a small circle cloud over the other eye .wat is this
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/25/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your kitty who has developed a circular clouding over one eye. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about cat:
- What age, breed and sex is your cat?
- When you say your cat only has 1 eye, has the other eye been removed? So your cats only eye is affected by this circular cloud?
- Have you noticed any other symptoms? Does your cat go outside?
Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Dr E
cat is old male ,does go outside.the other eye had to be removed because of a ulcer
not really himself ,eating well .seems to see well .he is not rubbing at his eye
Hi there,
Thank you for the extra info regarding your boy. There are a few things that could be going on here with your boy's remaining eye.
Given his history of an enucleation (removal of the other eye) because of a previous ulcer, the concern her is that he could indeed have another ulcer. Typically corneal ulcers can't be seen unless a special dye is applied, but sometimes if the ulcer has been present for a while, excessive scar tissue can form within it leading to an opaque, cloudy appearance. If left, this scar tissue can grow even bigger leading to further problems, and given your boy has had a history of ulceration in the other eye leading to removal of the eye, it would definitely be worth following up on this lesion with your vet as soon as possible.
Other possibilities here include clouding within the eye. This can occur in older cats for a number of reasons including nuclear sclerosis, cataracts, or even with certain syndromes like lymphoma.
The next best step here will be for your boy to have a full ophthalmic exam of his remaining eye to check this cloudy lesion. If the lesion is obviously on the surface of the eyeball, then this is most likely an old ulcer that is trying to heal. If this is the case, then it is possible your boy will need to have some of this excessive scar tissue removed from the surface of the eye. Your vet's exam will include some special fluorscene dye to confirm whether there is an active open ulcer present as well. Your vet will also use a special scope to check within the eye. This can help to rule out an issue like a cataract, nuclear sclerosis or other disease/syndrome that can cause change within the eye itself.
As with all eye issues, this issue really should be followed up on with your local vet as soon as possible - especially given your boy only has one eye! It is always better to be safe in these situations. Prompt follow up with your vet will ensure a quick diagnosis, and a better chance of resolving the issue.
If you can follow up with your vet today, please do. If he seems lethargic, then it would be best to visit your vet today (even if your regular vet is closed due to the holiday). If he is otherwise well, not lethargic and not rubbing at the eye, then you could wait until the morning to see your regular vet.
Best of luck with your boy. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
went to vet today ,tear in the cornea is what it looks like.on eye drops several times a day.will this this naturally?
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Hi again,
Thanks for the update. Good on you for visiting your vet so promptly as recommended. The good news is that yes - this corneal injury should just heal naturally now. If you see your boy pawing at the eye, you will need to arrange an elizabethan collar (e-collar) for him, and he would likely need some pain relief if this began also.
Although these typically heal without issue, a small percentage can actually sometimes get worse. For this reason, I would recommend revisiting with your vet every 5 - 6 days so he or she can recheck the corneal injury. In some cases further treatment (such as a special corneal graft) is needed.
Best of luck and thanks again.
Dr E
Hi there,
I just thought I would check in to see how things are progressing with the eye drops?
I hope everything is going well and that you are managing to medicate your boy ok.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Hi again,
I hope your little one's eye is starting to improve?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Cheers,
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian