How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask brisadog Your Own Question
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6785
Experience:  dasdasd
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
brisadog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old cat likely has cancer. Her vet determined she

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat likely has cancer. Her vet determined she had a mast cell tumor last visit (early fall) but I didn't want to biopsy due to her age and good quality of life. I have seen deterioration since then. The past two days she's vomited several times, the last time having bright red blood in it. Her respirations at rest are 60. I know if I call the vet they are going to want to poke her and prod her. But is it time to call?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Based on your description, it does sound like she is doing poorly at home. I understand that you are trying to preserve her quality of life as much as possible, but I do think that multiple episodes of vomiting and a respiratory rate of 60 (probably indicated discomfort, but could be related to primary lung disease or cardiac disease) warrant a visit to the hospital.
If you are interested in pursuing testing and treatment, I would start with a physical exam, blood work and an x-ray of her chest.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you suggest it's serious enough we visit the emergency vet. Of course this happens on a long holiday weekend when her regular vet isn't in...
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
I think you can wait until morning and monitor her until then. If she continues to vomit, refuse food, or has the rapid respiratory rate, I would consider an emergency visit.