Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Is there is any physical therapy I can do to help

Customer Question
Hello, Is there is any physical...
Is there is any physical therapy I can do to help my cat Sage? About 3 months ago we had to amputate her right hind leg; I believe my dogs got a hold of her; after 2 surgeries my vet decide it was best to take the leg. A month after her surgery I took her back to the vet because I was worried something was wrong with her other hind leg. The vet examined her and found nothing. Sage acts like she is trying to walk on the amputated leg while keeping the other leg bent. She's keeping her back down and I've tried to straighten the good leg but she cries when I touch her. Any suggestions what I should do? Thank you! Sincerely, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/23/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Poor Sage. It sure does sound like there is something wrong with her other rear leg. . .especially since she was walking normally for the first month. Was your vet able to straighten Sage's left hind leg? Has your vet re-examined Sage since her left rear leg started causing her problems?
Dr. Barbara

Yes, she has been examined, about a month after the surgery. But they didn't find anything wrong with it. I think, the cat thinks she has to hold her hind quarters down and make the length of the good leg the same length as the other, am I making sense?. I wonder if the left leg's muscles have atrophied? (excuse my spelling) Her "good" leg won't straighten. I thought possibly there might be some sort of physical therapy we could try. ?

Thanks for your response!
Do I understand you correctly, that Sage was walking normally on her left leg for 1 month after surgery, but then stopped using the left leg normally? If this is the case , then something has happened to her left leg. Please let me know if this is the case, or if I am misunderstanding. Your next steps will depend upon the answer to this.
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara

Yes, that does seem to be the case. She had even climbed up into a chair during the course of the night. I got up and couldn't find her only to find her sitting contently in my chair. But she is walking less and less, she does use her litter box. She'll walk 5-7 feet away from her bed and that is all.

Thanks for letting me know. Then something has definitely happened to her left back leg or her back and your vet needs to at least alleviate that pain with Metacam, or better yet, determine an exact cause. Since she seemed fine for a month after her surgery, then this is new and different. One thought I have that you can check for. Sometimes cats' claws will circle over and grow into a pad. Wonder if she has developed this?
One other thing to notice, does she move her tail normally?
Also, your vet should check her conscious proprioception and patellar reflexes on her left rear leg.
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian