Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has had her rabies injection, and is now ready to have…

Customer Question
My cat has had her...
My cat has had her rabies injection, and is now ready to have her blood test. I live in Brunei, my vet informs me that I cannot send the blood test off my self to Biobest in the uk. I understand he needs to complete the application as the sponsored vetinarian. The tests cost around £50. My vet in Brunei wants to charge me £700. I feel like they are basically selling me a form that I can get on line for £700. Is this the correct process?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/23/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this is a tricky situation, since there are no regulations stating what a vet may or may not charge for processing a sample of this nature. Therefore, I would note that you could consider phoning other local vets to see if they will assist you for a more acceptable cost.
As you noted, all the forms you need are available via the Biobest website. So, you can download this yourself @ http://www.biobest.co.uk/assets/files/forms/Rabies%20Paperwork%20Overseas%20v17%2016%20Oct%2012.pdf.
Still, what you do need your vet to do is to draw the blood and fill out the form. Further to that though, you do not have to have your vet post the sample. In fact, if you refer to the Biobest Rabies Serology Form in the link above, you will find on page 2 statement #2
that reads that "your Veterinary Surgeon must complete the submission form in full and this must accompany the sample. It is
possible to send your samples and payment directly to Biobest." Therefore, the company doesn't say you cannot send it your self. So, as long as you are willing to follow all the instructions for posting, you can do this yourself once you have the sample and completed paper work.
Overall, there is again no rules dictating what the vet may charge. Since this does sound a bit extreme, you may want to speak to other local vets and see if they will charge less. And if you want to confirm or liaise with Biobest to ensure you are doing everything correctly prior to sending the sample, I would note that you can contact them directly at http://www.biobest.co.uk/contact-us.html or via telephone: +44 (0)131(###) ###-#### ***** email:***@******.***
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.