Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a swollen pad on his paw

Customer Question
my cat has a swollen pad on his paw
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The footpads of cats aren't often involved in disease processes. If your cat could have been bitten by another cat, the swollen pad would indicate cellulitis/abscessation of the pad and require surgical debridement and/or a systemic antibiotic. If the pad is soft and spongy - and usually more than one pad is involved - plasma cell pododermatitis is likely. This is an inflammatory disease of the footpads that responds to a corticosteroid such as prednisolone.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?