Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I took Indy to the vet last night - he has an inner ear

Customer Question
infection. Thank you so much...
I took Indy to the vet last night - he has an inner ear infection. Thank you so much for your time yesterday - we both appreciate it. Bless you!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/20/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
That is good that they found that inner ear infection and have started up therapy for it. That can definitely explain the loss of balance. Did they possibly do any blood work to look for a possible cause of the weight loss? You said it was significant and not that I want to make another issue, but screening should be done.
The did x-rays (looking for any kind of tumor on or around the spine) and blood work (which has not come back yet).I will keep you posted. Thank you Dr. Bruce.
That is good that they did those things. I'm hoping for the best again for this little one. I'm curious to see if they find anything else.
Just got off the phone with the vet and the test results came back: 1. no tumors; 2. heart slightly enlarged - she said that may be from the infection; 3. his white cell count is 23,300 (I know 16,00 is normal).
So all in all I am so happy I took him to another vet. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you again.
That sounds good as far as what they reported back to you. One thing I will tell owners is that even though no tumors have been found, there still has to unfortunately be the possibility that it could be there just still undetected. I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but the weight loss if it is that drastic still has my attention. The blood work would have screened for diabetes, chronic kidney disease and hyperthyroidism - so if they came back negative for those then that is good! The elevated white blood cell count could be due to an infection such as that with the ear infection if it is that bad. I'm hoping that he starts to look better as you get further along with his therapy. If he's not improving, then the consideration for an abdominal ultrasound could be brought up to further screen for underlying issues.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian