Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There, my cat came into the house with a pencil eraser sized bald spot and red mark, lo

Customer Question

Hi there, my cat came into the house with a pencil eraser sized bald spot and red mark, looks like a scratch. I notice other's with similar photos on this site and was interested in finding out more about the possible causes to her injury
She received her inoculations and boosters 2 years ago and is primarily an indoor cat, although she is allowed to roam outside during the day. I do not see any fleas or ticks on her and her behavior hasn't changed recently.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
This does sound like simple trauma. Baldness results when the hair is abraded away by a rough surface during a tussle or scratched away by the nails of another cat. Can you upload a photo of this spot to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Hi Blake,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?