Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male 2 year old just used my bathroom sink to urinate, which…

Customer Question
My male 2 year old...
My male 2 year old just used my bathroom sink to urinate, which is odd as he always uses the litter box, and it was less than a table spoon and dark in color, with an almost reddish tint. Very worried that he has blood in his urine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/19/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How is Hemingway just now?
Has he passed any more material? Continuing to strain to pee?
Do you think the dark/red had any urine in it or did it just look like mucus?
It was watery like urine.We just cleaned out the box as he always uses immediately after. The urine spot he left was barely the size of a quarter
But because it is in the litter I can't distinguish color. He doesn't act like he is straining either. Just not a lot is coming out. His energy level is also fine.
Thank you,
Based on your history, we would have 2 concerns for Hemingway. The first is that he has a severe bladder irritation (most commonly infection, but we can also see bladder stones or urinary crystals cause similar signs) that is causing him to feel like he needs to pass urine when there is only a bit in his bladder. The second concern and what I am most worried about for him is a bladder blockage. If he can pass a bit of urine, then it may just be a partial blockage but this can of course progress at any stage and lead to a loss of ability to urinate for him (a fatal issue if not addressed).
So, these would be our concerns here for Hemingway and we do need to tread with care. One is an urgent situation, the other an emergency for a male cat. So, if he can pass some urine, then you can consider waiting for his vet to open. But if he is really straining and passing nearly nothing at all, then we need him seen sooner, since blockage is an emergency and requires immediate vet intervention.
In regards ***** ***** blockage of the male cat, it can arise due to the obstruction of their small diameter urethra with crystals, inflammation, or muscle spasm. These cats will often seem fine initially but perhaps show increased trips to the litter box or straining to urinate, and some do overgroom their irritated privates. But as the bladder fills, they can become painful, vocalize, become ataxic (wobbly), lethargic, and even depressed/collapsed. And as time goes on with the bladder blocked, we see urinary toxins leak back into the blood. This can make them feel worse, many will start to vomit, and it can even slow and stop their heart and be fatal if not unblocked and emptied immediately.
So, if he is really straining and is just passing next to nothing, it'd be best to have him seen right away. If the vet can express his bladder or his bladder is small, then an bladder irritation would be more likely for him and treatment can be dispensed for him. But if he is partially or totally blocked, then the vet will be able to help unblock him and prevent this progressing and harming him.
Overall, these signs raise 2 serious worries for your lad. If he is barely passing any urine, then a bladder infection is a concern but blockage is a real worry. Therefore, if he is passing barely any urine at all, it is best to err on the side of caution and get him seen as urgently as possible.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
PS- The color is likely blood, but that is a lesser issue as compared to a cat who needs to go often put passes little. This is because both condition can trigger this with or without blood. - Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.