Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has been to the vet the vet says he has asthma and URI....he

Customer Question
has been on inhaler antibotics...
my cat has been to the vet the vet says he has asthma and URI....he has been on inhaler antibotics and steriods for months....he still snnezes he head off and has one nostril that drips brownish red muscus..he is like drowning in it..is there something else we can do...I have a feeling this is related to his past broken jaw and teeth...or maybe a fungile problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/13/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. I'm sorry the expert you requested does not appear to be available right now. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound concerning, and that this is not responding to the prescribed therapy. It sounds like he is under treatment for feline asthma. It is not typical for asthma to cause nasal discharge. This points more to an upper respiratory problem. There are many upper respiratory issues that could cause this and your thoughts on this potentially being fungal or even related to historical injury (such as perhaps there is a migrating bone fragment) are absolutely logical. It could alternatively be a nasal tumor or polyp, infection (fungal, bacterial, viral) or even rhinitis (which is a very frustrating problem to treat).
The absolute best next step is to do some testing and try to diagnose what is going on with the nose. Ideally, he would benefit from advanced imaging like a CT or MRI scan of his nose, although this is usually only available at a referral hospital. If this is not something that is readily available, then I would advocate rhinos copy with a small fiberoptic endoscope to look up his nose and get some samples. These samples could be testing for fungal disease, cancer, and cultured for infection. This usually will point us in one particular direction and dictate our therapy.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified