Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

RE a feral cat i car for - Her nose has turned from pink to

Customer Question

RE a feral cat i car for - Her nose has turned from pink to Black. 3 months ago. She also cannot eat enough and is known to eat avocados from the neighbors tree. what could be wrong.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
For the pigmentation change, if she is an orange tabby, then this is a normal pigmentation change that occurs in this color called vitiligo. In other color variations this can occur, but to know if there is a medical problem you must carefully look at the skin. If the skin looks normally haired with no lesions, then I would not be too concerned about the pigment change and simply monitor. IF the area is not haired, appears irritated or has any lesions then there is probably something going on and the pigment change may be due to irritation. This can be seen with ringworm on the nose in some cases. IF this does look like the skin is truly abnormal then this will need a visit to your vet to try to diagnose. If she was my patient I might need to perform a skin scraping and fungal culture to rule out some of the easier causes. There is no over-the-counter gel/cream I recommend until this has been examined.
Avacados are often placed on toxic lists. Avocado contains the toxin persin. The leaves, fruit, bark, and seeds contain the toxin. In dogs and cats however, it does not seem to be as much of a problem as in cattle, horse, goats, rabbits and birds. We rarely see toxic signs in dogs/cats unless there is serious overconsumption. It remains unclear about the avocado toxin, persian, and its effects on cats. But for the most part we might see digestive tract symptoms (vomit/diarrhea, loss of appetite) and if worried about toxicity/ingestion then your vet would closely monitor her heart function closely. I suspect if she had been eating too much you would notice she is ill.
I canNOT link avocado with the skin changes.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.