Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is all of a sudden acting like she does not know me,

Customer Question
she is hissing at me...
My cat is all of a sudden acting like she does not know me, she is hissing at me and growling, she is an indoor cat and 3 years old I have had he as a baby. I don't know what could be wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/10/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Hi - Reesie is most likely demonstrating redirected aggression toward you. This occurs when the target of Reesie's aggression (you) is not the stimulus that triggered the state of aggressive arousal. Territorial, fear-induced and defensive aggression are the types of behaviors that are likely to be redirected by her. Stimuli that can cause an aggressive state of arousal include the sight or sound of another cat (at times quite far away from the home), unusual noises, odors of other animals, unfamiliar people, and unfamiliar environments. A common situation is one in which the pet becomes aroused upon seeing or hearing another cat while sitting in a window. When the owner attempts to pet it, pick it up, or nudge it away from the window, it attacks. It may show aggression toward another pet when approached in similar situations. Redirected aggression is a common cause of the sudden appearance of aggression between cats in the same household that have been living together amicably for quite some time. This type of aggression is probably the most dangerous type of aggression cats exhibit due to the uninhibited nature of the bites. Treatment involves identifying triggers for arousal and then removing the pet's access to the stimuli. You may have to be quite the detective as stimuli can be imperceptible to owners. Medication can be beneficial for reducing Reesie's response to environmental stimuli - psychoactive drugs such as Prozac have been used. The most important thing that I can impart to you is to be careful around her when she is aroused. Too many of my owners have ended up in the hospital due to infected bite wounds. One encouraging fact is that many of our cats will habituate to the arousing stimuli and "self-cure" within weeks to months.
For now, it's best to sequester Reesie in a quiet and dimly lit room until her level of arousal abates. This can be a matter of hours or even weeks or months in some cats and is often predicated upon a roaming cat outside your home finally leaving the area. You can test her level of arousal (be careful!) daily by letting her out of the room and seeing how she behaves. Please don't resort to psychotherapeutic drugs unless weeks go by without improvement.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I"ll be on the road all day today but promise to reply as soon I can if need be.
Hi Beverly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian