VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My cat has had 3 uti's in the past 5 months. We have done

Customer Question

My cat has had 3 uti's in the past 5 months. We have done x-rays and other tests but she just started peeing small amounts in weird places again. I know what they are going to say it is and treat it with clavamox. I've been to the emergency vet for the first one since it happened on a sunday and her regular vet for the other 2. Is it possible to get a prescription without her being seen and the large bills (over $200 each time) to get the same diagnosis?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your question about your cat.
If she has recurring infections at the vet, and they've seen her recently, it may be possible for them to prescribe medication for her without seeing her if you give them a call on Monday. Depending on the vet, they may just give antibiotics if you notify them over the phone that she's got another infection, or some vets will want to check a urine sample, which can be collected at home without having to drag her into the clinic.
However, if she has had multiple bouts with infection, it's possible she may be dealing with something more than just an infection. Cats can get bladder stones that can sometimes cause consistent recurring UTIs that do not improve with treatment, or it possibly may be a strain of bacteria that is more resistant to Clavamox. If such is the case, doing a sterile draw (where they take urine directly from the bladder) may be necessary to try and determine what type of bacteria are there and give an appropriate type of antibiotics to kill the bacteria.
Similarly, if there are stones, a radiograph may be necessary to see the stones. If there are stones, they can remove them surgically.
While it is not necessary harmful to just get them on antibiotics to clear up infections, if it is due to some underlying issue, it may end up being cheaper in the long run to do the testing and treatment, as getting her on Clavamox to treat a UTI every month can start to get expensive, as Clavamox is one of the more costly antibiotics on the market.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to get back with me!