Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Sneezing, vomiting and diariah cat is 7 years old

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/8/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Based on what you report I too am worried about Minstrel. Unfortunately his symptoms are vague and could indicate one of a long list of possible underlying problems ranging from infection (fungal, bacterial, viral) to organ issue (liver, kidney) to fever to ingestion of unusual item that has upset her system to cancer. The sneezing could reflect herpes viral infection which many cats are exposed to as kittens which then activates during times of stress, such as stress from another underlying condition (the one causing the vomit/diarrhea); it's tough for me to link all 3 issues to one condition.
The absolute best step for him is to have him seen by her veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this. I recommend today or tomorrow, and not wait the weekend, especially with refusing to eat and vomit/diarrhea. This puts him at high risk for developing profound dehydration.
At home until you get him in, continue to tempt him to eat with his favorites. Pull out the canned food, the tuna and other meat products she enjoys. Be careful with dairy products because these can cause diarrhea and gas in cats (most are lactose intolerant). You may safely administer Pepcid AC (famotidine) which is available as a 10mg tab that you give one-half tab once daily which may help with nausea/vomit. But this is not a powerful antivomting medication, and my top working is that it may not work because he may vomit it before it remains in his system long enough to exert an effect.
I really wish I could be more specific about the cause or give you a definitive at-home treatment but his symptoms are so vague that I too would need to perform an exam and likely some lab testing (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) +/- radiographs (X-rays) to try to narrow down what is going on with him.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified