Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our cat just vomited her food. She's become very vocal and

Customer Question

Our cat just vomited her food. She's become very vocal and her eyes appear to be dilated. We've searched the apartment and can't find anything harmful that she could've eaten. What should we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound concerning for your cat. Some cats experience a kind of "high" after a vomit. So, if she settles and then seems perfectly normal, you may safely monitor at home and we can hope that whatever she ingested that upset her system, she vomited up and is now done with. But if she continues to have vomiting (or diarrhea) especially if profuse or she progresses to have other symptoms, especially if neurological (trembling/shaking, disoriented, walking as if drunk, seizures, etc) then she needs to be seen on emergency tonight.
If she seems stable but not progressing, yet not normal, by tomorrow, then you should really take her in to be seen in the morning.
I wish I could guess at the cause but a vomit is so vague it could reflect one of many possible underlying problems ranging from infection (fungal, bacterial, viral) to organ issue (liver, kidney) to fever to ingestion of unusual item that has upset her system , and the list continues
At home if she does not have any further vomiting and no progression to have new symptoms, then I recommend do not feed until tomorrow morning and then try offering her food and see how she reacts (if she immediately vomits or refuses then you know you will need to take her in to be seen).
I really wish I could be more specific about the cause or a great at-home treatment but her symptom is so vague that I too would need to perform an exam and likely some lab testing (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) +/- radiographs (X-rays) to try to narrow down what is going on with her.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health/9319r-year-old-cat-hiding-dark-places-days.html#ixzz3ZaNXfmMv
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey