Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Cat is suddenly drinking a lot of water and has wet the humans

Customer Question

cat is suddenly drinking a lot of water and has wet the humans bed 3 times within a period of a week--a cat litter box is nearby and was used regularly before this problem.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Puma. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
If a cat starts to drink a lot more water, it is not unusual to have accidents outside the litter box, since they are urinating a lot more as well. How old is Puma? If she were mine, I would find out why she is drinking more water; things like a bladder infection, diabetes, and kidney disease all can make a cat drink more water and urinate outside the litter box.
This is probably not a change in behavior, but a physical illness. I would have a urinalysis done to see if there is infection in her urinary tract (kidneys, bladder) and if there is sugar in her urine (diabetes). If that is normal, I would next do blood tests to check her kidney function (BUN, creatinine, phosphorus).
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Puma is a 11 year old neutered male.About the same time problem started wet seafood was changed from solid to grilled
He weighs 22#. Also have his sister,Lucy 17# ***** quite certain he is the wetter, She is calico..
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If you are sure that Puma is the wetter, I would have him checked for diabetes as soon as you can. SInce he is overweight, he is at risk for diabetes. That would probably be the first thing to check for in a cat that is heavy, and suddenly drinking a lot of water.
If he is diabetic, a low carb, high protein diet is recommended, but it should not make a difference if the seafood is grilled. Getting a newly diabetic cat on a low carb diet, and getting him to lose weight, can help control diabetes. I would get him checked out as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you---Will call our vet right away!!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Let me know what you find out.
Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hi Robert,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?