Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My cAT HAS ONE HONEY COULORED FLAT LESION THE SIZE OF A 50

Customer Question

my cAT HAS ONE HONEY COULORED FLAT LESION THE SIZE OF A 50 CENT PIECE AND IS BEGGINNING TO DEVELOP A FEW SATELLITE LESIONS AROUND IT. I AM CURRENTLY BATING THE AREA WITH WRM COMPRESSESS USING A EPSOM SALTS WATER SOLUTION. I A IF SHE LICKS THE TOPICAL BATODERM CREAM M GOING TO TRY BACTODERM TOPICALLY. DOES IT HURT THE CAT TO LICK THE CREAM OFF OF THE SKIN. FROM dR Martha bright MD
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi *****
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.
What you are describing sounds most like ringworm. A lot of these lesions will fluoresce under a black light (Wood's Lamp), and will give positive dermatophyte cultures. . .as you know.
Bactoderm might cause some GI upset if licked off, and rarely can cause nephrotoxicity. It is also not actually labeled for use in cats, but has been used extensively and safely for many bacterial dermatites. It obviously wouldn't be of help if she does have ringworm.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU MORE INFO INITIALLY. THIS IS AN INDOOR RINGWORM IS UNLIKELY. I STILL THINK IT IS MORE LIKELY BACTERIAL. MY OWNN VE HAS KINDLY JUST PRESCRIBED A TOPICAL SPRAY TOPIGEN. HE NORMALLY DOES NOT PRESCRIBE OVER THE PHONE BUT BECAUSE MY CAT IS VERY NERVOUS (IT WAS GOTTEN AS A KTTEN FROMA BARN AND WAS ACTUALLY IS MORE LIKE A FERAL CAT THAT HAS BECOME TAME.)
Thanks for the further info. Topogen should be fine to use, if this is a bacterial dermatitis. Topogen also has betamethasone. Ringworm is fairly ubiquitous and is zoological. It is possible for animals and people to share it indoors. . .so nice of us! Lesions usually only develop in immunosuppressed animals due to immaturity or disease. Hopefully your cat doesn't have other health issues.Bot***** *****ne with Topogen is that the lesions are susceptible to it, of course. If no response, then you may want to have her tested via skin scrapes and cultures. You might also consider bringing home a Wood's Lamp. Not all ringworm lesions fluoresce but most do.Best of luck to you!Dr. Barbara