Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a urinary tract infection. Two weeks ago he

Customer Question
My cat has a urinary...
My cat has a urinary tract infection. Two weeks ago he took an exray and found no blockage and gave her a shot of antibiotics. Today I took her back because she is squatting again. She needed to be left in order to get a urine sample because she was empty and an ultrasound, also a blood sample. I question the meds prescribed which are i/2 tablet lx/day Cerenia which states for dogs, along with l/4 elavil. She threw up when offered them in cold cuts. I called first because I thought it was a mistake but he said it was okay. I find it difficult to administer pills and the last pill is Onsior which I looked on line and found it was for pain. Just opened one sealed and found it empty. Not even sure I can give it. Should he have given her a shot? and can I get these in liquid form. I dont understand why she needs Cerenia, She isn't vomiting, I am very worried, she is suffering.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
It appears you may not be online. I am not on all of the time, but if you are still interested in a response, just let me know.Dr. Andy
Was on line for hours last nite waiting for a response. I forgot my password ***** never received an email back. Your page kept disappearing and I tried desperately to reach someone.
In my haste I did not make myself clear. I do not want to give these harmful drugs and also with prescription diet food they never like. I read the side effects on line and I am disturbed. Is there an alternative procedure. He said he was taking blood but not sure if he did.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't understand prescribing Cerenia or Elavil for a cat with either a recurrent UTI or one that never responded to the initial antibiotic. The standard of care in these cats is to collect urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of urine through the abdominal wall) and perform a bacterial culture and sensitivity in an attempt to clarify if the urinary tract has been sterilized or if bacteria persist and now are resistant to the initial antibiotic. If so, another is chosen predicated upon the results of the culture and sensitivity.
The use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as Onsior may be of value when addressing idiopathic cystitis in cats - a sterile and painful cystitis. Cerenia is antiemetic but also anti-inflammatory and analgesic. Neither drug is the treatment of choice until bacterial infection can be ruled out. The response to the proper antibiotic can be swift and obviate the need for these other drugs. There's no reason for dietary management with UTI. In fact, the stress of changing the diet can be a stressor for the development of idiopathic cystitis.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian