Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is hacking and body is twitching/ muscle spasm like.

Customer Question
This happened in Dec. when...
my cat is hacking and body is twitching/ muscle spasm like. This happened in Dec. when eye went blue- had blood in frontal eye- then we got eye antibiotic and it cleared although some blood still sits in the bottom. It has happened again recently to other eye- where green clouds over and becomes purple. Yet today I can see green but he is caughing and shaky.
All blood work in Dec. came back perfect. He is 17 1/2!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll cut to thechase and tell you that Jazzpurr needs to be seen by his vet at your earliest convenience. It's unclear which structure in his eye is changing colors. I suspect that it's his iris - the colored structure surrounding his pupil. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, he's suffering from an anterior uveitis and this disorder can result from systemic infections and local ocular diseases. 70% of cases are idiopathic (unknown cause) in cats. His vet will need to re-examine Jazzpurr's eye(s) in an attempt to clarify the etiology. Hacking suggests both cardiopulmonary disease and simple infection - tracheitis, laryngitis, e.g. Once again, his vet will need to carefully auscultate (listen to) Jazzpurr's heart and lungs in an attempt to determine the etiology of Jazzpurr's hacking. Finally, body twitching/muscle spasms can indicate the hyperesthesia (overly-sensitive) syndrome in cats but also partial seizures. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I can only encourage your having such an elderly cat attended to at your earliest convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian