Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I work at a cat shelter, I just took home a kitten someone

Customer Question

I work at a cat shelter, I just took home a kitten someone brought in, it's eyes aren't open and I'm hoping to not lose it (those I think I will) right now it's twitching a lot but it appears to be breathing however it's not responsive to being touched or moved and is pretty much limp in my hands. Is it to late, or can I revive her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Thanks for taking this little girl home. The main thing for these babies is to keep them warm (your body temperature is ideal. . .so in your arm pit or next to your chest (if you're female. . .in your cleavage in your bra). Also, they can become hypoglycemic, so for now put some sugar water in her mouth on her gums and tongue). Rub her gentle also with your hands (back and forth in your hands)>
She probably is too weak to drink from a bottle, so I'd seek some veterinary help to have her tube fed. . .got to get those calories in her to bring up and maintain her blood sugar level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all my local veterinary clinics are closed on Saturday, I'm on my own, that why I contacted someone through here.

Her most immediate need is warmth and sugar water then. . .and warm the water. At first just do small amounts and this will probably just be in her mouth to be absorbed through her gums and tongue. Then if she is coming around and gaining strength, You should nurse her with warmed KMR. Let her drink as much as she will. You can also offer her some KMR in a syringe. . .a little at a time to allow her to swallow it well. After she eats you need to potty her. . .gently massage her vulva and anus until she urinates and defecates.
You'll probably have to work with her awhile to even get her to this stage of nursing or taking milk with a syringe. Just keep warming her and placing warmed sugar water in her mouth. . .tiny amounts at a time.
I need to run to an appointment! I'm going to opt out to open your question up so that other experts can step in. I'll check back here after my appointment to see if you are still in need.Good luck!Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's to late...she gone...thank you all for the advice....at least she passed in a warm bed...

I'm so sorry, but you tried :-( At least she also had a little TLC also.Hope the rest of your weekend goes better,Dr. Barbara