Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have an 8 week kitten who isn't pooping. He is lively,

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 8 week kitten who isn't pooping. He is lively, using the litter box to pee independently and is eating 4 meals a day. He has not pooped for 2 days. I feed him mushed up kitten food mixed with kitten milk and warmed up. It is the consistency of gruel. His tummy is not hard and he is not straining in the litter box. What can I do to help him poop?
Thanks Leska
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if your little one hasn't passed stool despite eating well for the past 2 days, then we may need to give him a little bit of support at home to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. And there are a few gentle colon supportive measure you can take at home to encourage the feces to pass. First, everything you have done so far is good but I would note that we may need to be a wee bit more aggressive at this stage. Therefore, to start, you can consider offering some milk (cow not kitten milk). As kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, thiscan be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (0.5 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). And do note that if we use these, we may see him pass a bit of runny stool. If so, just plan to stop these and resume his normal feeds as they were before he had this wee bit of constipation.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi! Thanks so much for your swift reply! It's all very useful info! Am I able to give him a bit of light olive oil (not sure what mineral oil is!) thanks so much! Leska
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Leska, Mineral oil is just another GI lubricant in the laxative aisle that is safe to use for kitties. In regards ***** ***** oil, you can try it, but the reason I do not advise it is because it is digestible. And if the gut digests it before it reaches where the firm feces is caught, then it won't actually help. Where as all the other lubricants (even cat hair ball treatments) are not absorbed and therefore can lubricate the gut all the way down to get feces passed. All the best,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Waleska,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.