Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Last night my cat suddenly started acting excessively skittish

Customer Question

Last night my cat suddenly started acting excessively skittish and jumpy. He walked slowly and carefully around some rooms, acting as if the room was new to him. He also acted afraid of the hallway and would barely creep down it to get to the living room, where he seems to feel a little more comfortable. He has not played with any of his toys. He did sleep in his normal spot on the couch for most of the night.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** I am here to answer your questions today to the best of my ability.
Has Mr. Mouser developed any other symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea? Was he willing to eat last night or this morning?
Is there anything that he could have gotten into? Garbage, people food or people medication?
Have you noticed if he is willing to jump on and off of things as he usually would?
Have you assessed him for fleas? Cats typically groom themselves well and will eat the fleas off themselves so it is not uncommon to not find live fleas. The best way to find fleas on a pet is with a flea comb. Fleas can move very quickly so a live flea can be very difficult to find. With a flea comb, the comb should catch any flea dirt present. The flea dirt is the black specks that are flea poop left behind by the fleas. Flea dirt is sufficient evidence to diagnose fleas.
In the face of not finding flea dirt of fleas, I would still recommend using a topical flea treatment -- the one I recommend first is Revolution as it also has an intestinal dewormer and ear mite treatment. If she was outdoors, it will be good to treat her regardless of if she has fleas. This is applied between her shoulder blades so she cannot lick it off. Flea baths, collars and over the counter flea products honestly do not work, well if at all. I would stick with revolution or frontline for cats.
Please let me know the further information to help narrow down why Mr. Mouser is doing this activity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no diarrhea or vomiting. Mr master has eaten his cat food and then drinking water. He did eat part of either a rat or a mole and my husband found the carcass on our front porch yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the further information. Since he does hunt, is he on a flea prevention? He can easily acquire fleas from these little creatures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, he has a flea collar.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I encourage you to look through her fur on the back/base of tail region for any live fleas or black flecks that indicate flea dirt. Unless it is the seresto brand, flea collars only kill the fleas that land on the collar and are not effective in protecting the entire body.
Another cause of the signs you are seeing is pain. Have you noticed if he is willing to jump on and off of things as he usually would? Cats are very sensitive with pain medication and cannot have ANY human pain medication. Anything for pain would need to be prescribe by a vet and a physical exam would be needed to confirm if he is showing signs of discomfort.
Because the symptoms developed recently and he has no vomiting or diarrhea, it would be ok to monitor him for the time being. However, if you notice any sneezing, coughing, lack of appetite or signs of pain, a physical exam is going to be needed. The vet could also use a flea comb to look for any fleas at that time as well.
What other questions can I answer for you?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in with you because I had not heard back from you. How are things going?