Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have seen thin, lively, worms about 1/4 -1/3 inch emerging

I have seen thin, lively,white...
I have seen thin, lively,white worms about 1/4 -1/3 inch long emerging from my cat's anus. Have also noted sesame seen lke dried worms on the bedding which I believe are tape worms, The live thin white worms resemble pin worms. Can my cat have both, or is this probably all tape worm?
3/31/2014
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Tigercat has had moving white worms emerging from her anus and that you are finding sesame seed like droppings on her bedding.
Small, grains of rice or sesame seed type worms are dried tapeworm segments. Tapeworms can emerge from the anus alive with or without stool and if several segments stick together they can look a bit longer. They can move and wiggle as they emerge. So I believe everything that you are seeing are tapeworm segments. Cats don't get pinworms.
Tapeworms are picked up by eating an infected flea or an infected rodent. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.
If you don't get rid of all the fleas or she continues to go out hunting prey and ingesting them they will continue to be a problem as she will continue to reinfest herself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantal. Droncit is a good brand name product that your veterinarian carries or you can buy generic products with praziquantal as the active ingredient.
In cats with repeated infections I recommend using a very effective flea prevention, such as Frontline Plus or Advantage II every 3 weeks to try to kill fleas before she ingests them when she grooms. If she is an indoor/outdoor kitty that hunts you will need to worm her frequently, every 3 months, to stop reinfestations.
Best of luck with Tigercat, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian