Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

5 month old kitten I just noticed has sores on her head and

5 month old kitten...
5 month old kitten I just noticed has sores on her head and around her ears..she was not like this yesterday...noticed that she was licking her legs yesterday checked her and coould not find anything...but today I have found this...she is with another sibling and they play alot but don't think it came from them fighting...have not seen them fight..what can I do to help her until I can get her to a vet...or can I find something over counter to help..also has stratched hair off her face......
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2013
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the appearance of the sores?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

the sores do not look raw or bleeding but she has stratched the hair off part of her little face...the places are rough feeling like it has been there and healed over but i never seen any thing on her...Until today I had seen nothing to indicate there was a problem...Her little ears feel like the spots are hard and she does not want you to mess with her...Can i put neosporin on the places?..her little face looks sad>>>

Brenda, what you are describing is consistent with a fungal or bacterial infection and self infected trauma. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop scratching area. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from scratching at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. Do not let this soap get in her eyes.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Callie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian