Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a cat that has had diarreah

I have a cat that has had diarreah and loose stools for 3 weeks.  Some of the times she has blood in the stools.  She has been given Albon for 7 days and still takes Flagyl once a day. Any idea what this could be or what else I could do?

Also, I have bloodwork results that I would like a second opinion on. Thank you. Ana Hernandez

Munchiemeadows74337 :

If you want to send your labs, I would be very happy to take a look. Please include a little more info such as vaccination status, predominately if indoors or out and other cats in home

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Also your cats age

Customer:

She was rescued about 3 months ago. She is about 2-3 years old. She is fixed. Her stools have been tested several times and they are negative for parasites. I do have other cats in the home, all healthy, no stool issues with them.

Customer:

She is about 2-3 years old. Only indoors. She hangs out with my other cats but they are well. Please see attached her blood work.

Customer:

Im sorry I didnt realize i sent you the info twice

Munchiemeadows74337 :

I did not get the bloodwork. Were there any values out of the normal range? Did they do a FeLV/FIV test?

Customer:

I am trying to figure out how to attach it as a pdf

Munchiemeadows74337 :

Some parasites do not show up in a normal fecal exam & require trying some other things. Has there ever been any blood in the stools?

Customer:

yes she does have blood in the stools most of the time

Customer:

I hope you can see the image of the bloodwork I reduced it

Munchiemeadows74337 :

OK. Just got the lab report. Give me a few minutes.

Customer:

Thank you

Munchiemeadows74337 :

OK. The bloodwork is fine, but they did report a positive FCV or Feline Corona Virus titer. This only indicates exposure and not actual disease, altho this can happen. You can ask them to send the fecal material off for special staining to rule out other intestinal parasites such as trichomonas or giardia, but your Flagyl should help with that. Deworming with fenbendazole 25 mg/KG once every 24 hours for 3 days is also effective against Giardia. If your cat has a good appetite and is not losing weight, you have some time to see if your meds will do the trick. You can also improve the stool quality with Kaopectate , about 1 teaspoon for a 10 lb cat 2-3 time a day for 3 days, and adding a probiotic from your vet. We use Fortiflora from purina or Proviable by Nutrimax. Have patience. Diarrheas can by quite frustrating. I hope this helps.

Customer:

Yes, this sure helps. Thank you so much. She is so happy and eats well.

Hi Ana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Munchiemeadows74337
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. She started panicure today for three days. Hopefully this works.
Hi, its Dr. Linda. If this does not work, let me know because there are other things to try.