Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been sneezing for a little over 48 hours and it…

My cat has been sneezing...
My cat has been sneezing for a little over 48 hours and it has become more frequent and his nose and ears feel warm. What could it be and does he require urgent treatment?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2013
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.
Is he eating and drinking as usual? How is his breathing? Does he have colored nasal or ocular drainage?

Hello Doctor: He has been eating normally. Not sure drinking as much as he should. Something I should mention. Just 3 wks. ago lost our 13 y.o. cat to lung cancer and he was of course Sammy's best friend. This past Saturday took Sammy to the our vet because he was not eating or drinking as much as he usually does and he was not acting normally-not playing as he usually does and he seemed depressed. Our vet did blood tests and treated Sammy with a shot to stimulate his appetite and some fluids for mild dehydration. Nothing else was abnormal in his blood screening tests. Sammy's symptoms started very late Tuesday night. We have an appt. tomorrow but no one is in our vet's office now, and we don't know if this can wait until tomorrow. I just don't know what to do right now. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

Ok do not worry. As long as he has eaten in the past 24 hours, and drank in the past 12 hours, then he can wait. Warning signs, that he needs to go to the emergency clinic are:
1. Open mouth breathing
2. Coughing up fluid
3. Pale or white gums
4. Unresponsive or unable to stand
It sounds like he has an upper respiratory tract infection. They are very common in cats. The cause is a virus and it is only contagious to other cats. So you can not catch it.
It usually resolves in 7-14 days. We treat it symptomatically unless they refuse to eat, have a fever, have yellow nasal or eye drainage, or they have difficulty breathing.
To help with his nasal congestion, you can use human nasal saline drops. They sell them at the human drug store. Put one drop, in each nostril, 2-3 times a day.
Cats can also take human antihistamines. Try 1/4 of a 10 mg zyrtec tablet every 24 hours for sneezing.
When you take a shower, bring him into the bathroom and steam out his respiratory tract.
Keeping a humidifier in his room.
Cats do not eat well if they can not smell their food. Use smelly canned food, or human meat flavored baby food (without onions or garlic), and warm it in the microwave to make it more fragrant.
If he will drink it, you can give him low sodium broth as well.
I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks

Hello again Doctor: Thank you for all the helpful information. But I don't think I mentioned that his nose and his ears do feel warmer than usual. Could this mean he has a fever? Also you mentioned open mouth breathing. Right after he sneezes or sniffles he does have his mouth open. Concerned if these thing make a bid difference in the urgency since you mentioned these in your replay. Thank you again.

He could have a fever but as long as he is eating and drinking he can wait until tomorrow. It is not life threatening to have a low grade fever. If he had a high fever, he would not eat or drink. You are free to take his temperature. But it can be dangerous if he tries to bite or scratch. Put, a little vaseline on the tip of a human thermometer. Insert about an inch into the rectum. Wait three minutes or until it beeps. A normal temperature for a cat is 100-102.5 F.
Do not worry if his mouth is open after he sneezes. That is due to nasal congestion.
If he is breathing with his mouth open, all the time, then he needs to see a vet tonight.
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian