Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I just found what looks like a worm on my floor that seems

I just found what looks...
I just found what looks like a long worm on my floor that seems to have blood on it ? is it possible this came from my cat?
5/21/2013
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I am sorry to hear about finding a worm on the floor. Of course this would be cause for concern.

Did the worm look like this?

View Full Image

If so these are roundworms. They are long, smooth white/tan spaghetti worms. They are transmitted by walking through stool contaminated with eggs and then licking
their paws. They are easily treated with a medication called pyrantel or a monthly flea/heartworm/wormer like Revolution. These are passed from pet to pet via eggs in the stool so if you have other cats and they all share a litter box it is possible that they could pick them up from her. Most adult cats don't have much of an effect from roundworms but you may wish to treat all your kitties. Cats can vomit adult roundworms from time to time and if the worm that you saw looked like these that is likely what it was.

Or did it look more like this?

If so this is a tapeworm.

These can come out of the anus with or without stool, will wiggle and move a little. They can come out as single small segments which can stretch or in several packets together which make a longer segmented worm-like piece. These small, grains of rice type worms are tapeworm egg packets. Tapeworms are picked up by eating an infected flea or rodent. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus. They cannot be passed directly from one animal to another, they need to be ingested by the intermediate host (flea or rodent) and then when the intermediate host is eaten they get infected. So if your kitty has tapeworms they cannot be passed to your other pets. But if you don't get rid of all the fleas or if Nicole is a hunter she will continue to reinfest herself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantal. Here is a link to a product with Praziquantal that you can purchase over the counter:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754523

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

She was treated for bloody stool a few weeks ago, She has not been eating much. It looks like the roundworm but very dark tan,,,,she must of vomited it up.

Could round worm cause bloody stool and loss of appetitie?

Thanks for the reply.

It is possible for them to look darker in color depending upon what they have been exposed to, for example if it sat in her stomach with food the dyes from the food can make it look darker. To be sure you may want to put it in a sealed plastic bag and have her veterinarian take a look at it. Treatment is relatively straightforward and any wormer with pyrantel in it will do.

Roundworms don't usually cause much gastrointestinal upset in adult cats, and we rarely see an adult cat vomit one. They do not cause bloody diarrhea. It is likely this is a coincidental finding and her vomiting the worm may have been related to her previous gastrointestinal upset. These worms can be dangerous to people in that if people ingest the eggs (from not washing their hands after cleaning the litter box) the worms hatch out inside us and can have an aberrant migration to the eyes and spinal cord/brain as these worms seem to have an affinity for neurologic tissue in people. As such I always recommend treating for roundworms in our pets.

I put the worm in a plastic bag....it is moving. Yuck. I will take her to my vet tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

I'm sorry, I know that is disgusting to even think about but I believe it will be helpful for your veterinarian to see it. You can put the baggie in your refrigerator which will hasten the worm's death but also preserve it for your veterinarian to look at tomorrow.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian