Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has diarrhea all the time and can't control his bowel

Customer Question
movements. he's eating and drinking...
my cat has diarrhea all the time and can't control his bowel movements. he's eating and drinking but don't put no weight on
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/11/2013
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Stormey's weight loss with diarrhea.

It is certainly possible he has a primary problem digesting or absorbing his food, such as inflammatory bowel disease, infiltrative bowel cancer (like lymphoma) or pancreatic insufficiency or even diabetes. Other possibilities in a young cat are parasites, including worms and the protozoal parasites like giardia, toxoplasmosis and tritrichomonas or abnormal gut bacteria.

I would recommend culturing his feces for abnormal bacteria as well as testing for less common parasites. Make sure that this test is sent out to the laboratory rather then just a fecal flotation test in the veterinary clinic.

I also recommend a prophylactic worming with Fenbendazole (Panacur) for 5 days twice, the second treatment one month after the first.

I highly recommend that Stormy see his veterinarian for an examination and blood tests, including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and thyroid level to start to evaluate him.

Many cats with primary bowel disease have low blood levels of vitamin B as their absorption is poor when their gut is damaged and we can test for this by checking his blood specifically for cobamalate and folate, something we don't get by normal blood testing. Supplementing vitamin B isn't difficult, just an injection a couple times a week until his intestines are healed and functioning better.

We can test for pancreatic insufficiency with a blood test called a TLI. Treatment is by supplementing pancreatic enzymes.

If those tests aren't diagnostic to definitively diagnose his condition biopsies of his intestines may be the only way.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian