Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM -13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

My cat has been getting diarrhea after he eats. I have trying

My cat has been getting diarrhea after he eats. I have trying to change his food and it worked for awhile but he is back at having trouble
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your questions.

What different foods have you tried with Smooth?

How long has this been going on for?

Is he vomiting?

Is he losing any weight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have changed him to whisks pâté. He used to eat fancy feast medleys for a very long and did ' t have ant problems in about a month ago . He not vomiting and has not loat weight that I can tell. And his name is skootz
Thanks for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that Skootz (sorry that I typed smooth as that is what it said up above as his name) is having diarrhea even with the food changes. Diarrhea can be caused by many different disorders therefore giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult without an exam, but I can tell you some of the more common disorders that we need to consider:

- Intestinal parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, or even Giardia
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland
- Kidney or liver disease
- Unfortunately cancer of the intestines such as lymphoma always needs to be consider though I hate to mention this
- Chronic pancreatitis

At this time, you could consider trying another different diet to see if this would help first, but my best recommendation would be to take Skootz to your vet to have an exam and possibly a blood test performed to make sure that the diarrhea is not due to something more serious.

If you wanted to try a different food I would start him on a sensitive stomach diet. If he will only eat canned food I would consider using a brand such as Purina ONE, Pro Plan or even IAMS and use their sensitive stomach formula. This is usually much easier to digest and will help reduce diarrhea.

Other suggestions would be to add some canned pumpkin to his food at 1/2 of a teaspoon every day. This will add fiber which can help bulk up the stools.

The last suggestion if you did not want to take him to a vet a t this point would be to purchase a probiotic called Fortiflora that can added to the food or feed as a treat. This has healthy bacteria that will help cats with diarrhea. Here is a link to where you can purchase this:

http://www.amazon.com/Purina-FortiFlora-Nutritional-Supplement-packages/dp/B00164YL22

If these suggestions are not helping then I would definitely take him to a vet for more help.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you in advance!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Skootz also eats whiskas dry food the meaty selection turkey chicken. Would this be consider fiber?
The dry food has a higher amount of fiber usually though typically not enough to help with diarrhea. I would still try the canned pumpkin ( not pie filling) to see if he will eat this.

The same brands of food as the canned should be available in dry as a sensitive stomach diet also.