I have a Persian cat with dental problems. She is physical well, blood test Ok 10 years old. Recent visit to Vet, Vet

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a Persian cat with dental problems. She is physical well, blood test Ok 10 years old. Recent visit to Vet, Vet suggested a $1000. surgery for her mouth and teeth. I am recently retired and there is no way I could afford to do a $1000 surgery on this cat. The vet says this is very painful for the cat. Can she be given pain medicine for the pain? Should I be thinking of putting her to sleep? She does not act like she is in pain. Do I just give her softer food until it gets worse? How do I know she is in a lot of pain? Janis Oswalt ,[email protected]
Answered by crtrdr in 4 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
crtrdr
28+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

crtrdr :

Hi, I am happy to try and help you with Snowie. Is she on any medications now?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

no meds

crtrdr :

I do think she would benefit from some pain medication at this time. Also, you might want to ask your vet if there is anything in the estimate that you could decline for now. If your veterinarian included Xrays in the estimate, it might be possible to not do those at this time.

crtrdr :

Is she having trouble eating now?

crtrdr :

Are you still there?

crtrdr :

I am not sure this chat mode is working properly. I will switch to the [email protected] mode to answer you. If you have further questions, I will be happy to answer them, you just need to hit the REPLY button.

our vet explained that x-rays were not included but , no, she does not have a problem eating, but we want to know if she is in a lot of pain yes

are you still there expert?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
It can be very difficult to judge whether cats are painful or not. They often will continue to eat even if their teeth are bothering them .
I don't think you should consider putting her to sleep at this time. I think it is worth a conversation with your veterinarian about the dental estimate.Perhaps they could "stage" the dental, that means not doing everything at one time. It may be more expensive in the long run, but at least you could get the worst teeth taken care of now. Major extractions could be done now, and the less severe problems could be taken care of later on.
Pain medication could be helpful now.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.
Best wishes for you and Snowie
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
crtrdr
logo
logo
logo
28+ years of experience
imglogo
crtrdr
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.