DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine, focus on feline medicine
23497452

my orphaned 3 week old kitten is constipated. I have rubbed

Customer Question

my orphaned 3 week old kitten is constipated. I have rubbed stomach with cotton ball to no avail. Does a drop of Karo syrup work?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. How long has it been since Tigger has had a bowel movement?

How often is he eating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tigger had bowel movement 24 hours ago. He is eating 5-6 times a day
Thank you. He may need an enema if he is constipated. If you haven't done this before, you should contact your vet first thing in the morning (if they are already closed for the night) to have them show you how to do this. It is extremely easy to cause harm, so you need to be shown in person how to do this and get the necessary supplies. It is not uncommon for bottle-fed kittens to get constipated. In the meantime, just continue to massage the belly and use warm water to stimulate the anus.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pretty poor answer. I cannot get to my vet at this time of day. I need something right away and tomorrow sometime.
There is no quick fix answer, unless you already know how to give an enema to a tiny kitten. Do you have the supplies to do this? Are you experienced in doing this? I explained what to do in the meantime, and that you should call your vet in the morning. If you try to do this without knowing how, you can cause SERIOUS HARM.