Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cats keep disappearing, even stray cats are gone. I live

in a small town that...
My cats keep disappearing, even stray cats are gone. I live in a small town that doesn't mess (legally) with cats. I'm sure it's not a person getting them. I live near a semi wooded area. My beautiful siamese cats are gone just in the last week. Any idea?
5/21/2012
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Depending on the area of the country you live in, you may have a predatory in the wooded area near you. The most common threats to household pets are coyotes and fisher cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%28animal%29), there may be others in your particular area. I am sorry that this is happening. I know where I live coyotes are a big threat to any indoor/outdoor or outdoor pets. The only sure way to keep them safe is to keep them inside if this is what is going on.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Would a coyote leave any trace of them? I mean, would it carry them off to (eat,sic) them? I have walked a mile looking in many directions and haven't found any trace.
My pretty siamese disappeared last Sunday night, she always comes in many times a day. Just paid a $1,000 vet bill for an infection she got and she was completely healthy when she disappeared.
I've had 7 cats disappear in 4 months. Even the few wild cats around here are gone. And no stray dogs around here either.
The town I live in has just over 1200 people and the town mess with cats and dogs.
I haven't seen any trace of a coyote but I wouldn't know what to look for either.
Generally wild predators do not leave a trace of their prey. Sometimes you might find some fur but that is rare. I'm no expert on how to track wild animals--I wouldn't know what to look for to know 100% if one is in my vicinity. I've lived in my area for 20+ years and seen 2 in that whole time--they don't advertise themselves.
You might want to check this site for more info:
http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/Coyote_Habitat.htm
Everyone I have talked to has said it's a coyote and since you are more knowledgeable, you have just confirmed it.
I'm going to accept answer and pay.

Before I go any advice what I can do? I have big yard with many trees, little traffic on street, a very nice place for a cat to live.
How can I get rid of the coyote(s) or keep them away?
I've been told to get a big dog, what do you think?

You can try repellents like these described in this publication:
http://www.fws.gov/sachuestpoint/images/News/DeptofWildlifeTips-ExclusionsDeterrentsandRepellents0110.pdf

I don't know about getting a big dog. If you have a very bold coyote, you may just endanger the dog, and end up with fights and wounds and a rabies quarantined dog. I would focus on keeping my cats indoors. All my (7) cats are indoors only and quite happy (one is a reformed feral who runs (away) now when he sees the door is open--he knows when he's got it good!).
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
DrChristineM
DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian