Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 9 month old female kitten has a very loose stool and has

Customer Question
had this since I got...
My 9 month old female kitten has a very loose stool and has had this since I got her 6 weeks ago. She was a rescue kitten. I started her out eating Iames regular dry food but changed to Iames digestive care. I mixed 1/2 & 1/2 for a few days to gradually make the change. This hasn't made her loose stool any more solid. What should I try next?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/2/2012
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 5 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for your question.
I am glad to see you did make a gradual change to the diet, as quick changes can cause diarrhea on its own.

Can I describe the type of feces being passed?
Color? Consistency? Blood? Mucous?

Was this kitten wormed in the past month?
If so, what was used?

How is the kitten otherwise?
Eating/drinking/behavior?
Any vomiting?

Can I describe the type of feces being passed? yes
Color? medium brown

Consistency? pudding

Blood? no

Mucous? don't think so

Was this kitten wormed in the past month? yes, worms that look like a piece of rice If so, what was used? she was treated at the veterianarian's office and i don't hav the info with me. it was a liquid in a tube that was put on the back of her neck

How is the kitten otherwise? very active
Eating/drinking/behavior? nibbles & drinks through out the day but not excessively. very affectionate and playful.

Any vomiting? no

Thank you for the additional information.

I am glad to hear she has been wormed,since gastrointestinal worms can be a very common cause of diarrhea in young cats. That said, I would double check what was used because there are a lot of wormers on the market (vet and otherwise) but the majority don't do both tapeworms (this white rice looking worm segment) and roundworms/hookworms both. Spot on wise, I would suspect Droncit would have been used since this one of the few that comes in this type of preparation and covers both worm groups. That said, I would advise double checking this.

Now, if we can rule out worms, we do still have a number of agents that can manifest as diarrhea in the otherwise healthy cat. Most commonly we see these changes associated with bacteria, viruses (ie. panleukopenia, corona virus), metabolic imbalances (more so in older cats), parasites (not just worms but also giardia, coccidia, and tritrichomonas), and nutritional causes. Since you have a recently made a gradual diet switch, we will place nutritional issues lower on our list.

The next step to getting to the bottom of what is causing her chronic diarrhea would be to discuss with your vet the potential to submit a fresh fecal sample to the lab. Analysis of a fecal sample is a very good way of cutting to the chase and making a dent in our list of potential causative agents. The lab will be able to check for common parasitic agents (those aforementioned that wouldn't have responded to the wormer), corona virus, and bacterial causes of diarrhea of the cat. As well, the bacterial culture will be tested to determine which antibiotics they are sensitive to. And if this is a bacterial or parasitic complaint, knowing what the causative agent is will help you treat it effectively and clear this abnormal stool.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, I would be grateful if you would press the wee green accept.

Thank you,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian