Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

Regarding treating tapeworm in my cats. My vet says I should

Customer Question

Regarding treating tapeworm in my cats. My vet says I should repeat Drontal between 2 and 3 weeks after initial dose in order to kill flea eggs that will have hatched. He spoke about the about the life cycle of the flea and said if I don't repeat it, they will have tapeworms all over again. But the Bayer website does not suggest a repeated dose unless your cats are continuing to be exposed to fleas in the environment. Can you clarify?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,

The Drontal kills the tapeworms after the first dose. The only way the dog can get more worms is by ingesting more fleas. If the fleas are gone and the Drontal has been given the second dose is not needed. Drontal has no long lasting effect and is only effective the day it is given. If a dog ingests an infected flea the day after the wormer is given the tapeworm life cycle starts all over again. If the fleas were taken care of before the first dose was given you are in the clear. If not, a second dose is then warranted if you start to see more segments in the stool.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First, these are cats not dogs... not sure if it makes a difference with your answer.

Second, can you please address what my vet said about the life cycle of the flea and that the initial dose of drontal does not kill the eggs. The eggs hatch 2-3 weeks later and those need to be killed. Is this accurate and if not, please explain why not. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
The life cycle of the flea has nothing to do with the life cycle of the tapeworm once they are infecting the cats. What you vet may have been trying to say is that if there are flea eggs in the house, they will hatch in a few weeks and more fleas will get on the cats and they could potentially get more tapeworms. If the house and cats have both been treated and the fleas are gone, that will not happen. To kill tapeworms in a cat, a single dose of Drontal will kill them. Further treatment is not needed unless the cats ingest more fleas.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So sorry. I meant life cycle of the tapeworm. Adult worms versus larvae. Are you saying it kills tapeworm in all it's stages whether adult AND Larvae??
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Correct. Drontal is a single dose treatment for tapeworms and larvae. Other types of worms often require a second treatment to fully clear them from the body. If a cat eats or is bitten by another infected flea, the tapeworms come right back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Need to share this with my vets.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!